Memorial Day weekend marked the official beginning of summer. The season when outdoor celebrations, like barbecues and outdoor dinner parties, are underway. With this in mind, it can sometimes be difficult to find crowd-worthy dishes that promote a healthy lifestyle and taste delicious.
Our talented chef staff here at Helms College are involved in the day-to-day classroom operations as well as working along with our students to plan the seasonal menu for Edgar’s. Chef Andy Anderson recently shared one of his recipes for hearty and healthy grilled bread salad, perfect for summer dining.
Grilled Bread Salad
- 1 each loaf of focaccia (about 12in by 12in)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 Tablespoons fresh dill chopped.
- 2 each cucumber, sliced thin
- 2 each large tomatoes diced
- 1 each red onion thinly sliced
- 16 oz feta crumbles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Split Focaccia in half and coat each side with olive oil. Place bread on the grill until golden brown on both sides. Remove bread and let cool.
- Combine olive oil lemon juice and dill together to make the dressing.
- Dice the bread into ½ inch cubes.
- Toss all ingredients together and let sit for 30 min before you serve.
**The addition of chopped red and yellow bell peppers, and/or zucchini is optional
Recipe courtesy Chef Andy Andersen
Look for more taste-tempting recipes from the staff and students at Helms College in future articles, too! Imagine the doors you could open with a culinary education from Helms College. We have two campuses serving the Middle Georgia and CSRA region: the Augusta School of Hospitality and the Polly Long Denton School of Hospitality. Visit the Helms College website today to learn more today!